Saturday, February 13, 2010

Clearly, the Victoria Times is a big deal

Generally speaking, when I check my e-mail, if I get anything beyond my daily Google Calendar alerts, I'm pretty surprised, and probably more excited than I should be. I get the odd link submission about once or twice a week, and I try to work them into a LOTD post if I can. Usually when I get an e-mail from someone I don't recognize, it's spam.
Well, the rules were broken Wednesday afternoon. I got a link to a piece written by the sender, a Cam Martin. Do you recognize the name? Hopefully you will soon, because he is a new writer at ESPN, on their Page 2. Yep, I was sent a Page 2 article with the hopes I would link to it (I guess). Far be it from me to turn down ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4902660
Obviously, this is a little flattering that Mr. Martin would send the link to me to get himself some publicity, but it also gives me pause. The way I see it, this could mean one of three things: 1) Mr. Martin worked his way through a specific list of blogs and eventually found ours, eager to get the word out on his new role with ESPN, 2) Mr. Martin is a regular reader here at the Times, and it would be only natural for him to send in a submission or 3) ESPN has some sort of spider that happened to come across our little corner of the internet and saw important keywords like "basketball" and "sports" and "Jeff Saturday's eyes".
Either way, ESPN in some fashion, knows who we are. *cold chill*
But nevertheless, I wish Mr. Martin the best in his endeavors at the Worldwide Leader. He is either working his but off to connect with the blogging community, or someone behind the scenes is doing it for him. Either way, it kind of suggests a sea change for the network.
Or maybe it is a robot. Almost immediately afterward, I got an e-mail from a PR firm for some sort of hockey jersey sanitary thingy.
(P.S. I have not talked to Cam Martin or anyone at ESPN. I wouldn't know what to say)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home