Friday, July 31, 2009

Welcome to the Deadline

Hi everyone. This is a live blog. As the day progresses and I hear news and notes or just have something to say, I'll say it. IT's not exactly something to sit around at the computer constantly, so I wouldn't exactly count on me breaking news for you, but I will maybe make a joke or two about Jason Stark and how I miss the moustache. So please, stay tuned.

8:44 - The Twins are apparently making steady progress for Orlando Cabrera. My letter to Bill Smith did not work. Also, the first official transaction of the day? Jose Lobaton getting claimed off waivers by the Rays! Look out for Tampa!

9:26 - Just got back from a run. Any news? No. Just a couple rumors on MLBTR about the Marlins. Heath Bell or Nick Johnson. This year's deadline can only be better than last year's, though, when it was Ken Griffey and... ???

9:57 - Not getting any updates on anything from anywhere. I'm switching it over to Price is Right. How hauntingly appropriate

10:09 - A girl, Bethany, totally just freaked out about getting to spin the wheel after she lost a hot tub, like she didn't realize everyone who gets on stage gets to spin the wheel. Don't you even watch this show?!
Still no news from the trade market.

10:28 - In the longest piece of written journalism ever written, Jarrod Washburn has been traded to the Tigers. No need to follow the link though, this post is longer than the article.

11:22 - It occurs to me that the Tigers making a deal probably compells the Twins to make a move as well. Dammit. Less than 4 hours to go, though, and no more deals since Washburn, who was traded for someone named Mauricio Robles and another guy. The other guy is the better prospect, but he isn't named Mauricio.

11:35 - Apparently, the Rangers, who were the last good hope to get him, are out on Roy Halladay. I bet we still hear a bunch of rumors about him.

11:45 - La Velle coming through with some good news! The Twins will not give up Danny Valencia for Cabrera. Excellent stuff. The Deadline can't come soon enough.

11:59 - Of course, that doesn't mean the Twins WON'T get Cabrera. Stupid Oakland. Don't GMs read deranged letters from fans?!

12:10 - And it's a done deal. The Twins have made a deadline deal, giving up something called Tyler Ladendorf. I can honestly say I've never heard of him. Welcome to the Twins, O-Cab.

12:22 - Ladendorf, as it turns out, is also a shortstop. And this guy says he was the 33rd ranked prospect, so I guess the trade couldn't have been THAT bad. Also, in late breaking Twitter news, some guy named Vinny was traded for some guy named Claudio.

12:53 - I was just reminded that last year, Manny Ramirez was also traded right at the deadline. Duh.... Anyways, the Twins are getting cash from the A's to help pay for O-Cab's salary. You know what? Since the cat's out of the bag, let's deal for a pitcher!

12:56 - Welcome back to the Victoria Times Twitter Tracker. According to this tweet that was twate, by twitterer Bob Nightengale, the Indians are about to trade Victor Martinez to the Bo-Sox.

1:18 - You know, if Victor Martinez is going to the Red Sox, that might be the end of any Mauer envy out of the Red Sox. Might be. Let's hope.

2:11 - Wow, incredible lull an hour up to the deadline. I took a shower, played some Tiger Woods... Nothing. I'm going to go to the bank. Will anything happen in the mean time:?!? (Open ended questions are the ticket to live blog gold)

2:18 - Whoa, hey, deals! Jerry Hairston traded to the Yankees for depth and Adam LaRoche, traded again. He's going back the Braves, where he started his career. Also, Harold Reynolds, now on the MLB Network is an idiot, at least when it comes to the trade deadline. He doesn't understand why teams don't get major league players and keep getting minor leaguers. I wondered the same thing. When I was 8.

2:21 - Joe Beimel to the Rockies. Pitchers do well in Colorado. Good fit. (sarcasm)

3:15 - Ran som errands, came back, and I'm happy to report a few trades! Casey Kotchman went to Boston for LaRoche, which is sort of a big deal. The Twins may yet get Jon Rauch for the bullpen. The Marlins nabbed Nick Johnson. The Blue Jays and Red exchanged third basemen Scott Rolen and Edwin Encarnacion. I really liked Encarnacion.

3:22 - I was just driving around, as I said, and came across this fellow motorist.
Apologies for having it all tilty. South Carolina seems fun

3:28 - Um... what? Peavy to the White Sox again? Baffling.

3:32 - Wow. Sounds like the real deal. I think of the teams in the Central, the White Sox win. That said, I am officially calling this live blog..... OVAH! Thanks to the both of you for joining me!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home