Saturday, June 27, 2009

How dare we make you go to college?


I don't really have any insight to provide on the whole NBA draft thing. I don't follow the NBA. I just don't care. I find it comical that the Timberwolves are possibly more poorly run than the Vikings.
One problem I did have with the draft was the asinine debate on whether or not the requirement that players be a year removed from high school before they entered the NBA was fair or not. I think it's totally unfair, frankly. I think it's unfair that people so stupid are blessed with such an athletic gift.
Let me give you an example of how the real world works. I did well in high school. To get into my profession, people wanted me to earn a degree to learn the intricacies of the field I wanted to enter, and based upon my performance in college, hired me so I can earn a respectable income, doing what they know I can do well.
This is exactly what the NBA is trying to do for their players. Let them go to college for a year or two (for free, unlike me), so the player can hone their craft, and the league, the employers, get a better picture of what this players skill set is. Based on the performance in college, they will then draft (or 'hire') the player to earn a boat load of money doing what they do well.
Somehow in the process, making them go to college became racist (because apparently it's only black kids that want to skip college and immediately make millions) to make basketball players live by the rules of the rest of the world. It's sickening, really.

Oh well, happy weekend!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

If basketball wants to do away with the requirement, they'll probably need to set something up like hockey's American Hockey League or MLB's minor league systems.

I can see the point: there are some amazingly talented athletes who have no business attending the colleges they end up attending.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home