Sunday, March 18, 2012

This is the end of the blog

After 5 years working here at the Victoria Times, I have made the decision to shut it down. While I have enjoyed writing here every day for the past 5 years or so, it was time to move on to greener pastures. Oh, you thought I would be done writing? Oh, no no no.
I made the decision at the beginning of the month, and I sent the following e-mail to Steve. You have the same right to know the background to this decision, so the email is copied in full below:


Hi, I was hoping I would get a chance to talk to you on IM or something, but I figured I would let you know via e-mail since we haven't had a chance to chat. I am shuttering Victoria Times, likely at the end of the month. That said, I am going to launch a new site, name to be decided, but tentatively dubbed "The Rhino and the Compass". This decision has come up due to several goals that I didn't feel could be met with the old name and the Blogger platform.- Join a network. I was going to apply for being included in the Yardbarker network, however with blogger, and the lack my own domain, I didn't feel the site had a professional appeal
- A cleaner layout: I have worked with Wordpress at a few other sites, and I know it's easier to work with while coming up with a better end result.
- A name change: The Victoria Times Colonist is also the name of a newspaper in British Columbia. I wanted a new name to go with the new site so we could get
- The biggest plan with the change is the addition of a radio/podcast... thing. A half hour, once a weekish, where, if you want, you can jump on if you want, and if you don't that's fine too. Eric (Panthers24) might be a regular on the show. It will be through BlogTalkRadio.
The content will be the same, and I would love to have you continue to make the odd contribution. The transfer of content from Victoria Times should be pretty easy, I believe, and if it isn't, the Times won't go away. Like I said, I just wanted ot give you a heads up, before everything changes and you are left confused.
Talk to you soon - Ryan

And I will talk to you soon. I will give you the new site tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home