Wednesday, March 02, 2011

So long, Jajuan and E'Twaun

When I was at Purdue, the basketball team was pretty much garbage. We made the NCAA Tournament once in my time there, but other than Willie Dean and David Teague, I struggle to remember anyone. Carl Landry came soon after I left, and the best recruiting class Purdue has ever had followed soon thereafter. In my time, the best, most popular athlete there was Kyle Orton. Think about that.
But now Purdue basketball is back, making its alumni community proud. Even though I am from Minnesota, I know that Indiana is a basketball state and Purdue is a basketball school. Much of the return to prominence has to do with Matt Painters recruiting class 4 years ago, particularly Jajuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore, who played their last game at Mackey Arena last night.
I was only able to see them in person once, when they came to Minnesota a couple of years back. After that game, Jajuan became perhaps my favorite player of all time. Until that point, I always had an affinity for guards, given my small stature during my playing days (I have since filled out and had a growth spurt) and I do appreciate E'Twaun's deadly accuracy, but something about Jajuan Johnson is almost... beautiful to watch. He is tall and lanky but doesn't move awkwardly as it seems almost everyone of his stature does. Instead he is fluid and can play inside and out. He can hit mid range jumpers or thunderous dunks. I'm really going to miss the guy.
Anyways, without further ado, here is an impossibly lengthy tribute to Jajuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home