Monday, August 30, 2010

Cooking with Ryan: Cauliflower and salami salad

This is the first time I have ever made a salad that had no lettuce in it, so I have to say that I think it is the epitome of fancy. It's also the first time I've made a salad that featured a fried pork product, which is very much appreciated as well. I'm not sure if this is actually all that healthy, despite the abundance of cauliflower and broccoli in the salad, simply because of all the salami, but also because of the mozzarella.
I whipped up the dressing myself, taking some Italian dressing, lemon juice and red wine vinegar to put the whole thing together. There were plenty of leftovers, and I brought some into work on Friday, and after I warmed it up in the microwave, one of my coworkers could identify the smell of red wine. When you look at the picture, I'm guessing "red wine" wasn't the odor you had envisioned emanating from the bowl.
The one thing that struck me was the chopping of the broccoli and cauliflower. I had never taken it upon myself to enjoy fresh cauliflower before. My parents had broccoli plants in their garden, so I had seen that before and I guess I expected cauliflower to be no different. I was wrong! It grows as a head, like lettuce more than as a bloom at the top of a taller plant, like broccoli. You learn something new every day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home