Sunday, April 25, 2010

Players I'm rooting for

The internet is so negative, and the country has just become such a cynical place, I have decided to tell you some new draftees that I like simply because they are good kids, or are people that I otherwise want to succeed in the NFL and in life.

Colt McCoy (Browns): By far the most engaging and genuine quarterbacks of the top 4. I like his personality and hope the city of Cleveland does too.

Tim Tebow (Broncos): People hate Tim Tebow not because of the man but because of the media saturation. I am one of those people that tired of the constant ESPN coddling him, but if you listen to him in interviews, you realize that he is a really good guy, if a little earnest.

Dexter McLuster (Chiefs): He was just so much fun to watch in college. I wish he had gone somewhere more in the media spotlight than Kansas City. I think if anyone ends up like Chris Johnson, it will be McLuster.
Ndamakong Suh (Lions): Has already said he is donating 2 and a half million to charity, and was far more articulate yet soft spoken than any of the other first round draftees. Pretty much the opposite of Warren Sapp.

Gerald McCoy (Buccaneers): Eminently more likable than his former Oklahoma teammate Sam Bradford. He also planned charitable activities, and was supposed to spend today at an Oklahoma City homeless shelter. He was similarly articulate, something you don't expect from a defensive tackle (see: Tony Siragusa) and was the first truly emotional player from the draft. He also had a little flair that tells me he will be in the spotlight for all the right reasons.

Eric Berry (Chiefs): I've never seen someone so arbitrarily excited to be a member of a football team. He was on the phone with someone from the Kansas City exclaiming "I'm going to be a Chief!" before the pick was announced. That sort of enthusiasm gets me every time. I wish I could be drafted.

Dez Bryant (Cowboys): Jon Gruden said that nobody was going to work harder than just about every  other prospect out there. I believe it about Dez Bryant, simply because of what he has overcome. I didn't even realize he was an academic all American last season, which is stunning given his background and frankly his interviews. Not only do I want him to succeed, I will be sorely disappointed if Dez gets in trouble off the field.

Jahvid Best (Lions): He is overcoming some concussion problems, but when healthy, Best was the most explosive running back in the draft. He could have been a top 10 pick without the head injuries. I hope he can can stay healthy, because if he can he will be so much fun to watch.

Myron Rolle (Titans): Myron Rolle is a Rhodes scholar. He took advantage of the free education at Florida State, and took challenging classes, did well in them, and ended up taking a year off to go to Oxford after he graduated from Florida State. When his playing days are over, he hopes to be a doctor. He slipped in the draft because people worried about his dedication to the game, but frankly I hope he is successful in life in whatever vocation he tries for. What a great ambassador for athletes everywhere.

Dan LeFevour (Bears): LeFevour seemed to play Purdue 6 times or so in his college career, either during the regular season or in the Motor City Bowl, and he always impressed and frightened me. After hearing him interviewed, I found him to be a lot more well spoken and intelligent than I would have ever expected. I suspect that he will be a starter a lot sooner than anyone thinks.
That draft was fun.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home