Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What to make of Thome?

Frankly, I don't think anything should be made of the Jim Thome signing today. Sure, it's nice to have one of the best home run hitters of the past 15 years or so on your team, but he doesn't really add anything the team doesn't already have. He can play DH or 1st. We already have Justin Morneau and Jason Kubel for those spots, and they are both lefties. There are murmurs about putting Kubel in left and letting Thome DH, but that means 5 lefties at least in the lineup. Also, I would be surprised if the lesson hasn't been learned yet that Delmon Young is at his best when he is in the lineup every day.
I read somewhere that platooning Young and Thome would be the "right thing to do". I almost went into a 5 page tirade about how how wrong minded this is, but instead, I will make this simple statement, saving my first Delmon Young screed of the year for another time. Delmon Young's age 23 top 10 all time comparables according to baseball reference include: Roberto Clemente, Carl Yastrzemski and Carl Crawford. His top comparable, Carlos May, was even an all-star in a season. Kirby Puckett (for example) doesn't compare to anyone at age 23, as he hadn't yet spent a season in the league by then. I guess what I'm saying is, give him time.
If we are giving him time, then, what the hell are we doing with Thome?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

My opinion for the present is that "at least he's cheap." I'm not sure how he'll hold up at his age, and my concerns echo you in regards to Delmon Young.

As a "late-in-the-game" pinch hitter, I like Thome.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home