Thursday, September 10, 2009

Childish Enthusiasm

"So, while I'm sure that the lovely Beth will have something on the Twins or baseball tomorrow, but after that? I would expect a lot more talk on other sports. It's a lot less stressful. " – Ryan, September 9, 2009 (Cupcake Day!)

I’m sure many people in the world find my child-like enthusiasm for sports a little overwhelming. However, I find the pessimists/curmudgeons following sports to be baffling. I love going to games, following sports, and following teams. I’ve lived in Minnesota my whole life, so I have plenty of experience watching some really bad teams*. I can find fun in how much the team is sucking, too. In fact, I had more interest in the Timberwolves this past year than any other year, simply because their horrid play was something for the news. It was fun seeing their win percentage change--up and down--throughout the year. This was really my only interest in the Timberwolves—their win record. (I don’t only love the losers; if my favorite team wins, I’m giddy.)

* I’ve also watched a mediocre team win the World Series. I now idly wonder how today’s baseball bloggers would’ve handled the 1987 Twins.

It’s optimism that keeps me coming to games. I’m capable of being pessimistic, but generally with sarcasm. If the baseball team I’m rooting for is down by one run at the end of the first, I’ll say to a friend, “Well, that’s an insurmountable lead this late in the game.” But underneath it all, there’s hope. There’s hope that this time will be different. And that’s what finds me in my uncomfortable stadium seat until the last out of the baseball game and until the time runs out in the hockey, lacrosse, football, or basketball games. Yet, in obvious blow-out games, I’ll tell you that anything can happen (I’ve seen some amazing come-backs). I know it’s probably not going to happen, but I’m not going to miss it if it does. Even if I don’t get to see some sort of miraculous comeback, there’s always hope that I’ll see one play that I can tell children someday, “Did I ever tell you about the time when I was at a game and…” Good stories are the reason I love sports so much.

Which is not to say that it’s not about winning and losing. It’s always about winning and losing. I don’t want to go a baseball game for nine innings, and then go home with no definitive answer on who had a better game. I want to know who won. I have a huge competitive streak in me (I can get very cranky when my team loses, especially in a pathetic manner; sarcasm is my usual mode of irritation-release). But there are often times, as a fan, I have to remember that the point of watching a sport is to have fun.

So, yes, the Twins have had a very frustrating year. But I will not relinquish my tickets. I will be sitting in my seat for every home game* between now and October 4. I will cheer, be frustrated, but no matter what: I love the game. I love the flow of it, and there will always be something worth seeing—a great defensive play, a great pitching performance, a great hit, or even something so incredibly stupid and pathetic fans just have to laugh.

So, yes, even if the Twins have frustrated Ryan, and he understandably has moved on, I’ll still be following every second of this team from now until October 4. And hopefully I’ll have to miss my sister’s wedding on October 24 for the World Series.

* September 16 is still a question mark. I’ll have to see if I can get the afternoon off work.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I think for me, the problem is that I understand baseball more completely than other games. My expectations for the Twins are so high, and their flaws seem so apparent to me that I am frustrated that they don't address them. Football, basketball and hockey, I can just appreciate the game. After the game is on the field, it's just so much easier to appreciate the flow of the game, the strategy and the effort the players put forth. And the expectations too have something to do with it too. I am going to love watching Purdue football even though they are awful this year, because every success they have will be a welcome surprise. The Twins should be about 10 games better than they are, and have been a constant source of frustration.
It doesn't help that the f'n Yankees are back on top.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home