Friday, August 21, 2009

R.I.P. GeoCities, Old Is It Sports? Site

Back in January 2005, Ryan and I decided to get into sports writing by finding a way to save some of our more entertaining instant messenger conversations about sports (which we starting having way back in 2002 during our sophomore year in college) and post them somewhere online. We created a website on geocities, called Is It Sports? to host these conversations, and write comments about them afterwords. We only updated the site occasionally, about once every couple of weeks, and I got to try out some of my terrible html skills. We wound up having a lot of memorable posts, which we still link to occasionally today. Eventually, I got a little too busy to dedicate a lot of time to the site, and Ryan was writing posts that weren't getting uploaded until 2 or 3 months after the fact, which led to Ryan setting up the Victoria Times in January 2006. We kept the old site going until March 2006. I eventually started my own ill-fated blog, and eventually starting writing again here in November 2006.

So why am I giving this history lesson that probably no one cares about? Well I am sad to say that after 15 years of operation, Yahoo is shutting down GeoCities on October 26 and all websites will be removed from the internet. As the "webmaster" of the old Is It Sports? site, I'd hate to see some of our old material disappear, so starting this weekend I am going to start bringing all of our writing under one roof, at the Victoria Times. Sure, you won't be able to see my horrible html anymore after October, but I'll be sure to bring over the horrible Microsoft Paint doctored pictures...

I don't want to load up this site with a bunch of sports banter from 2005, so I'm going to timestamp the posts to the day they were originally written, so check out our soon to be expanded archives for lots of new(old) content! Since I will be posting them all, I'll make a note of who the original author was and maybe we'll both add a little commentary as an intro to these posts. Probably some of the most fun I have had doing this for the last 5 years is looking back at these old posts with a modern day perspective. Hope you enjoy them too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home