Saturday, May 09, 2009

It's a miracle Delmon Young is hitting .300


I've made my peace with the Twins batting Joe Crede and Michael Cuddyer ahead of Young. Frankly, they have been putting up better power numbers than DY has all season. What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is putting him ahead of Nick Punto in the batting order. As much as I love Delmon, I will be the first to admit that Young will swing at anything. The strikeouts and inability to take a walk have dragged him down early this season. So why put him in front a of a perennially terrible hitter? Opposing pitches won't give Young a good pitch to hit ever, and he'll flail at all of those balls out of the strike zone.
Give Delmon credit though. He has been able to either slap a ball into the outfield for singles or, yes, take a walk. He's completely adapted to the situation. Even I didn't think he was capable of this. If this is a complete transformation to a slap, singles hitter (or even if he's not, and he has that power stroke) let's move him up in the order, how 'bout? Young, batting second, would get better pitches and would maybe even get some extra base hits. Matt Tolbert or Brenden Harris, much more patient hitters at the bottom of the lineup, hitting ahead of Punto, would still get on base. Let's make it happen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home