Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

It’s Thanksgiving in the US, which is where I live. I will be spending Thanksgiving in the hometown of the Victoria Times (Victoria!), which is an honor that not many will have this year (the gathering I’ll be at will include about 50; I will assume the great city of Victoria will be hosting other Thanksgiving gatherings).

I’m thankful this year for sports. They added an extra adventure to my trip to my cousin’s wedding in Texas--I was able to attend baseball games at both Minute Maid field in Houston (had I only known, the Houston Aeros, the Minnesota Wild’s AHL affiliate, were hosting a playoff game that night. It would’ve been a tough choice!), and the Ballpark at Arlington, which I believe is actual Ameriquest Park or something like that.

I’m thankful that sports were a nice break from the four funerals (deceased aged from 20 to 85) that I attended this fall. As I wrote in May, entertainment gives our minds a chance to rest, so we may continue on. I needed that. Even though the local teams either sucked (Timberwolves) or lost in the first round of playoffs (Swarm, Wild, Twins sorta), they still offered entertainment value. (I have no idea how the Vikings did last year. Or how they’re doing this year. And I actually listen to a fair number of games.)

Sports offer secondary entertainment in the world of Fantasy Sports. My fantasy football team has spent much of the 2008 season tied for first place (currently tied for second, though). I think this is the biggest coup of them all, because I still have no idea what a tight end is. Or a linebacker. Or a wide receiver. Or…you get the point. The winning isn’t something to be thankful for, but rather the amusement factor of my team winning. As I only vaguely know one other participant in the league, I often wonder if the others know what I’m doing. The one I vaguely know probably assumes I’m only pretending I don’t know what I’m doing.

Amusingly, I know a lot about baseball, but my fantasy baseball teams seem to come in 13th place every year. We’re whimsical in our draft (and unlucky--someone calculated that stat!). It doesn’t matter how unlucky we are. We still have a lot of fun. In fact, it’s almost more fun when the team is losing, because we like to make up excuses of why.

Take a moment this Thanksgiving to be thankful for the baseball player with the most appropriate Thanksgiving name: Jimmy Gobble.

In short, we all have a lot to be thankful for, even beyond the world of sports. Even in the midst of sorrow, be thankful for the silver linings around the clouds. If there are no silver linings, get out your paint brush and some silver paint and make ‘em.

Now go eat turkey! (Eating Turkey is not a suggested activity of the Victoria Times.)

Timberwolves update: 3-10 (1-2 since last week)

I still promise to attend a Timberwolves game if they’re under 20% in the win % category in January. The lengths they’ll go through to spare me from a professional basketball game is gratifying. Thank you, Timberwolves!

Marian Gaborik Injury Status: Who?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Hey! I was there too!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home