Friday, October 03, 2008

Nothing.

Earlier (this week or last week; time is kinda fuzzy right now), Steve posted how baseball just wasn't fun, because he enjoys home runs and big stars, rather than solid base hits and running out ground balls. He deleted the article, so I can't link to it. As it is, his White Sox beat the Twins in a one-game play-off because of a solo home run, so his entry was moot. He’ll get to see his old, future hall-of-famers in the playoffs, while the energetic children go home.

It was very sad evening for me as a Twins fan. It was also perspective. As I wrote back in May, entertainment gives our minds a chance to rest, to get ready for whatever usually occupies our minds.

It also gives us perspective. This week I needed baseball for a distraction, but was also reminded how insignificant sports were. I'm a day late on my usual posting because yesterday I was too busy to write. In short, I was attending a funeral. The circumstances of the death and age of the deceased made it tragic and shocking. For a couple of days, though--Sunday through Tuesday evening--I was able to have short breaks in time where I could take a break from the reality of what was going on and focus on something entirely unrelated to the situation going on around me.

There was perspective. It’s hard to care about a loss of a game when there’s something so much bigger going on. I miss the distraction of baseball when I need it most, but the loss of the distraction is so minor compared to the loss of a loved one. (To be clear, I love the sport of baseball on its own. I’ve watched teams I don’t care about play baseball before, but I prefer that to be live. Watching on TV means I only get to see what the media wants me to see, which is usually close-ups of where the action is currently taking place. I want more than that: I want to know where the centerfielder is positioned. I want to see who’s backing up places at other bases than the one currently in question. I want to see how the third baseman is positioning himself to be ready for both a bunt and a ground ball in case there’s a double-play opportunity. I want to see the entire game. Because I watch “my” team live so often, I don’t always need to see the entire field to know what they’re doing, so it’s easier to watch them on TV. This is also why I don’t mind sitting in upper levels at sporting events. It gives an overview of the whole game.)

Anyway, the Twins season is over, hockey doesn’t start for another week, and it’s been a tough week personally. I’ve really got nothing to say about sports other than it still provides an escape, and sometimes life provides you with perspective.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home