Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Steve's NFL Preview: NFC East

I guess we're saving the best division for last. I would say the NFC East has a slight advantage over the AFC South just because all 4 of these teams have a realistic chance of making the playoffs, with 2 very capable of making the Super Bowl, while in the AFC South, you probably have 3 of 4 with shots at the playoffs with 2 capable of making it the Super Bowl. Also, just like the AFC South last year (and my prediction this year) I wouldn't be too surprised to see the NFC East have both wild cards.

1. Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys looked like the class of the NFC last year until the Giants got hot at the end of the season and knocked them out of the playoffs. I don't see any reason why they would take too far of a step back this year, and that's why I think they'll take the division title again in 2008. The only concern I see is possibly at wide receiver, where their corps is just another year older. Julius Jones was replaced by Felix Jones at RB, and just because Jerry loves his Joneses, he added Adam "Don't call me Pac-Man" Jones. Jerry, whatever you do, DO NOT let Michael Irvin show Pac-man around Dallas.

2. New York Giants - Will the masters of maybe the greatest upset in NFL history be able to repeat their greatness? I think it could be a challenge. I have this feeling that they caught lightning in a bottle last year at just the right time, and they can't count on a run like that again this year. A large part of the Giants success, especially in the playoffs and the Super Bowl was their suffocating pass rush. Now that Michael Strahan is retired and Osi Umenyiora is out for the season, they probably won't have that asset. I still think the Giants could very well be the 2nd best team in the NFC and will definitely pick up at least a wild card spot.

3. Philadelphia Eagles - Last year, the Eagles started off pretty poorly but won their last 3 in a row to finish 8-8. They wound up having just a 2-7 record against playoff teams but were 6-1 against non-playoff teams, which is a good explanation as to why they finished where they did. This year if they followed the same trend, they could possibly go 9-7 or 10-6 with the help of their last place schedule and grab the last playoff spot. I think they could realistically start the year 5-2, which could prevent the yearly Donovan McNabb "no one likes me and I'm different because I'm black" sob story distraction that has successfully derailed the team the past few years. I fully expect that to happen sometime later in the season though.

4. Washington Redskins - The best last place team in the league this year. The Redskins are actually a pretty decent team, especially if they can get a little more production out of Jason Campbell this year. It can't make any 'Skins fan feel real comfortable that they had the ancient Todd Collins carry the team to the playoffs last year while their QB of the future was out with an injury. Despite all of this, I think the Redskins are probably looking at an 8-8 or 9-7 season that could set them up for a nice easy schedule in 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home