Sunday, May 04, 2008

A heart to heart conversation Friday night

At the Hennepin County Medical Center.....

Delmon Young: Carlos! Carlos are you OK?

Carlos Gomez: Yes. I get hit in the head five times in my career already. Is no problem.

DY: Oh. Well, while you're laid up, maybe you can watch some tape and find a solution for our.... problem.

CG: Yes. The curveball.

DY: I still say the solution is to get a longer bat.

CG: Yes. Is one solution. Maybe we swing harder?

DY: Not a bad idea Carlos! Get the air swirling around and maybe the ball will come to the bat. Sort of a Bernoulli effect.

CG: Yes. Bernoulli.

/Justin Morneau, listening from the doorway, steps in to the room.

JM: You know, guys, I too had a problem with the curveball not so long ago. But I overcame those issues.

CG: Yes. You very good hitter now. Use a longer bat? Swing harder? Always bunting?

DY: Did you threaten to chuck your bat at the pitcher if the catcher so much as flashed the sign for a curve?

JM: (paternal laugh) No fellas! The trick is to not swing at everything. Especially stuff you can't reach. Just swing at the pitches you know you can hit.

DY: That's crazy!

CG: Yes. Is crazy.

JM: Crazy enough to work.

DY: Naw. Just crazy.

(At Saturday night's game)

Umpire: Ball four! Take your base!

DY: But... but all I did was stand here! I can really just go to first because he threw 4 pitches I couldn't hit if I tried?

U: It's called a walk, son.

DY: It did work! I can't wait to tell Carlos!

Delmon Young would go on to score the go ahead run on Craig Monroe's homer. Carlos Gomez recovered from his head injury, while Justin Morneau just smiled the smile of a teacher watching his students excel.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home