Sunday, May 14, 2006

An update on something important only to me.

The title is a little bit of a misnomer, because at least one person cares about my fantasy teams. She said so in my comments. Thus, I am writing a post on them. Let's take a peeksee at the two teams I'm fielding, first with Gassner's All-Stars.
My assesment of the team was flat out wrong. The right side of my infield, Darrin Erstad and Orlando Hudson, were pretty nasty. Hudson couldn't hit, and Erstad is on the disabled list. When your saviors are Mike Lowell and Phil Nevin, you are either the Texas Rangers or a beleaguered fantasy team. Nevin and Lowell have, however brought me out of last place, and I'm sitting pretty in thirteenth (of eighteen). After my abysmal first couple of weeks, I'm actually beating the first place team, thanks to Nevin, Lowell and my best pick up, Waney Rodriguez. That's right, my best pick up is named Waney.
Overall, the best performers are Mike Mussina (won't last), Rodriguez, Roy Halladay, Derick Turnbow and on offense, Miguel Cabrera, the only player ranked in the top 100 that I have on my team on offense. That's pretty bad news for me, and I'm not entirely sure what I can do about it. I'm sure having Griffey back from injury can't hurt, and Kevin Mench and Grady Sizemore are getting better. Hopefully one of my other guys can get hot, but when Damian Miller is my catcher, I'm not sure that's very likely. Right now though, I'm going to ride the upward surge of this team, riding the back of my pitching staff.
VictoriaTimes, in my other league, is faring much better, to start. They are in first place after a quick start, but I feel they are fading fast. My team was hit by the injury bug early, as I lost Julio Lugo and Coco Crisp, but somehow, my team persevered. Garret Atkins has been a revelation at third, and Nick Swisher has been a godsend. The guy that helped me at the beginning of the year, Greg Maddux, is seeming more like a forty year old lately, and my pitching stats are feeling the effect. Thankfully, I have Jon Lieber, John Glavine, and Dontrelle Willis to pick up the slack when they get going.
My goal with this team is to trade away Mark Teixeira. I need pitching, and I have Prince Fielder just waiting to step in and play every day. Actually, with Jason Duchscherer going on the DL recently, I REALLY need pitching. Crisp will eventually come back, and I may not have a place to put him, so I might be trading him for a pitcher too. The outlook for these guys is actually pretty good, so I'm excited about their chances. I just hope that the Times can stay on top and the All-Stars keep swinging a hot bat. Until next time - Ryan

3 Comments:

Blogger dawnmarie said...

our guys are out of control slackers. they're all getting punished.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Really I was just curious because the only team I hear a lot about is the Sass. Mainly because I'm their clubhouse manager. Or something like that.

1:04 PM  
Blogger thisisbeth said...

Dawn has our team summed up correctly.

Justin Duchschererererer going down was a blow to our pitching staff, too, so we feel your pain.

{I enjoy hearing about your team, too. Your blog rocks.}

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home